This visa is for people who are in Australia and want to apply for protection. It lets you stay in Australia permanently if you arrived on a valid visa, engage Australia’s protection obligations and meet all other requirements.
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.You become an Australian permanent resident on the day your visa is granted.
INCLUDING FAMILY MEMBERS
Members of the same family unit may apply together on the same application. They must:
- be in Australia at the time of application
- be eligible to apply for this visa
- you, or a member of your same family unit, must engage Australia’s protection obligations
- have arrived legally in Australia on a valid visa
- meet all other visa requirements including health, character and security
WHAT YOU CAN DO
This visa allows you to:
- live, work and study in Australia permanently
- sponsor eligible family members for permanent residence through the offshore Humanitarian Program
- Obtain an ImmiCard to prove your visa. An ImmiCard is an official, secure immigration credential. It contains a photograph and personal details such as family name, given names, date of birth and gender.
As an Australian permanent resident, you might be able to sponsor eligible family to come to Australia through the offshore Humanitarian Program.
UNACCOMPANIED HUMANITARIAN MINOR PROGRAM
If you are an unaccompanied humanitarian minor, you can get support through the Unaccompanied Humanitarian Minors program.