THIS VISA ALLOWS YOU TO COME TO AUSTRALIA TO LIVE AND WORK ON A PERMANENT BASIS.
If you previously have been on the 489 visa and have fulfilled the 887 eligibility requirements then you can apply for a permanent visa 887 Visa. This visa is for people who have lived and worked in specified areas of regional Australia on a previous, eligible visa.
This is a permanent visa. You must be in Australian when you apply for this visa and when the visa is granted.
- hold an eligible visa
- have lived for at least 2 years and worked full time for at least 1 year in a specified regional area
- have complied with the conditions of the eligible visa you hold or have held
At the time you apply for this visa you must have lived for a total of at least 2 years, as the holder of one or more eligible visas, in:
- a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area if a state or territory government nominated you for your eligible visa, or
- a designated area of Australia if a family member sponsored you for your eligible visa
When you apply for this visa you must have worked full-time for at least 12 months as the holder of one or more eligible skilled visas:
- in a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area, if a state or territory government nominated you for your eligible visa, or
- a designated area of Australia if a family member had sponsored you for your eligible visa.
Full time work means 35 hours per week. You can combine work in concurrent part-time employment to satisfy this requirement. You can work in your nominated occupation or any other occupation.
At time the time we make a decision on your application you must:
- have functional English, or
- have paid the second instalment of the visa application charge for your eligible visa, or
- pay the second instalment of the visa application charge when we ask for it
You must be of good character to visit or live in Australia. This means you must pass the character test, and remain of good character.
The character requirements are set out under section 501 of the Migration Act 1958. They help us decide if you are of good character.
You must meet the character requirements if you are applying for:
- a visa
- Australian citizenship
APPLYING IN AUSTRALIA
You can apply for this visa online. You, and any family members who are applying with you, must be in Australia when you apply.
WITH THIS VISA YOU CAN
- stay in Australia permanently
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- if eligible, apply for Australian citizenship
Newly arrived residents may have to wait before they can access certain Australian Government payments and benefits.
HOW LONG CAN YOU STAY
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
The visa has a travel component that expires 5 years after the date of visa grant.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residence starts on the day we grant the visa if you are in Australia.
You can include members of the family unit in your application if they currently hold an eligible visa. You must include each family member who is eligible to apply for this visa at the time you lodge your application. You can’t add family members after you have submitted your application.
You can include family members who no longer meet the standard definition of member of the family unit provided they hold an eligible visa that was granted on the basis that they were a member of your family unit. This provision would apply, for example, if you want to include a child in your application who has turned 23 years of age since they were granted an eligible visa.
Family members included in your application must meet our health and character requirements. Family members not accompanying you to Australia may also need to meet our health and character requirements.
If you have a child who was born in Australia since you were granted your current visa you must tell us about your child before you lodge this application. Find out what to do if your child is born after we granted your current visa. If we have not linked your child’s current visa to their passport you will be unable to lodge their application online.